Stowell & Co was established as a private legal practice in 1945. Over its seventy years of practice, the firm has grown from a single practitioner establishment to an Incorporated Company in 1996 and can be considered to be one of the largest KwaZulu-Natal legal practices outside of Durban. The Company has been operating from its current premises at 295 Pietermaritz Street, Pietermaritzburg since 1989. The building, which is a Listed Building and which has won a number of architectural awards. The building is ideally situated, being diagonally opposite the Deeds Registry, the Surveyor General’s Office, the High Court, the Regional Court. The District Magistrate’s Court and the Master of the High Court also within walking distance.